Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Mist


It is one of the best movies I've seen lately.
There are those horror movies who, put simply, just scare you... You know, loud noises, bloody people, etc. There are those with creatures so ugly and so unrealistic that it just takes all the fear away, because they are not believable enough.
This film has that: crazy creatures coming out of nowhere, ugly injuries, some scary moments (I jumped off my chair a couple of times), but it has something else. It has a whole different "theme" in which you see people's fears taking the best of them. You see how humans really are, when in danger, how their beliefs and their survival instinct can make them do unbelievable stuff.
Quoting:

Amanda Dunfrey: You don't have much faith in humanity, do you?
Dan Miller: None, whatsoever.
Amanda Dunfrey: I can't accept that. People are basically good; decent. My god, David, we're a civilized society.
David Drayton: Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shit out of them - no more rules.
In every way it's one of the most realistic portraits of fear I have seen in a movie. And although there are limits (which the end might have passed), you do some crazy shit when you're afraid.
The end is, to say the least, controversial. I admit it's completely out of character, completely unexpected from those people we've been getting to know the last 90 minutes. But it's beautiful! A twist in the plot that shocks you to the core, and gets out of the ordinary without being completely stupid. It is unrealistic: the army, the relative "easyness" of the killing, the timing... But that's the intention! And I love a movie where you can't tell what's coming. I love when it ends with you still thinking about it, still rationalizing it.

I went with little (plot-thickness-wise) expectations, and got out with enough to write a few lines of text, so it was good. I totally recommend!

No comments:

Sound Track