Sunday, January 24, 2010

On the Box Office

It actually makes me kind of sad...
I don't know where Milady got her intel, and although I don't think Avatar as yet surpassed Titanic in the all time box office results, I know it's just a matter of time.
Don't get me wrong, they both are great movies, and I'm not gonna argue Cameron's work, wich I know is amazing and deserves all the credit (by god, each time he makes a movie it sets the industry standards!). But I'm sad because Titanic actually had some (very little) insight and some plot thickness behind it. And Avatar has none of those. Yes, it's an amazing visual (more like a full body sensoring) experience... but that's it! No story at all! It's as hollow as a sea shell!

And people got convinced by all sorts of weird promotions and publicity from around Hollywood, from big stars who didn't even have a role in it (this still lags to enter my head).
And another thing, this is a theater movie. What I mean is, there's no real fun in watching it on DVD or BluRay because it looses all it is when it leaves the theaters doors. And besides, the ticket prices for the 3D version are bigger, wich means it's hard to say more people have watched it, you can only say it earned more money.

Just insights from someone who has watched Avatar and felt: "The part of my brain that's actually used to think, was just numb for 2 hours."

7 comments:

Milady De Winter said...

don't blame the messenger chick!

Milady De Winter said...

just delivering the news.

John said...

this is so idiotic. LOL
You are discussing how good the film is? don't you have anything better to do?
Because as i read it you're both on the same side aren't you? so what's the fuss all about?

Jack said...

@Milady: lol I'm not blaming you, "chick" :P I'm just commenting the news.

@John: You might wanna read it again. I was discussing how good the film is not... It's your fuss that I don't get: "You are discussing how good the film is?" Of course! It has "Movie" on the tags, so yes, that's what I'm doing.
Tell me John, are you high?

BethanyWillkom said...

How can you say that Avatar was hollow? It had a great story of love and understanding. It had an even bigger message... It showed how the human race has taken our planet for granted and how we lack respect for the land and other living things here. If anything it should have opened your eyes at least a little. I do agree though that once out of theaters in will have lost much of it's granduer.

John said...

@Jack: Ho! I'm so high right now. want some?

@BethanyWillkom: let me be the first to welcome you. Welcome, hope you like our little bit space. About your comment, i haven't seen the movie so i can't say anything about its quality or super quality. but what i can comment on, is the message it seams to deliver. Which is wrong, in my opinion, the human race doesn't take the planet(land) for granted, that's why we're all so scared about global warming, and if you go talk to a farmer who throughout his all life has been taking care (and care is the magic word here) of the land he harvest for food and income, he will tell that he would trade his life for that land any day.
You may go outside and see very tall building that seem a sin to natural beauty, but try thinking how would it be if everyone lived in the ground floor. There would be natural beauty to glance at, would it?
Never the less again, i thank you for comment. And that if possible we hear from you again.
Thank you
John Scar Kramer of Lioncourt

Jack said...

@BethanyWillkom: I agree with you in one thing, the environment message was nice. A bit too fantasic, but nice. Apart from that, I second what I said. And I'm sorry if you thnik avatar has a great love story, because that can only mean you've never seen a good romance. It's cliché, it's predictable, it's stripped of any plot originality, it has poor acting... And that, for me, is being hollow. This movie and all the fuss around it, it's all about the 3D! Paragraph!
Take the 3D (and the "director brand") and it would go straigth to DVD, because it's an overrated piece of special effects. "Throw pretty colors in front of the masses and watch them freak out!"

Anyway, thank you for you comment ;)

Sound Track