Thursday, September 17, 2009

What now?

I've got this new class this year: Calculus III; and three hours into it, I already discovered a couple of wonderful things.
For me, and other crazy people like me, mathematics is beautiful. And when I say beautiful I don't mean I like to study it that much, or there aren't boring things about it.
But unlike many people, I always could see beauty in some math formulas.
E = m . c^2 is one example; I can't really explain why, but I look at it and I like it, I just think it looks good!

But this new class...

I found another one of these formulas. This one was actually voted as the most beautiful and one of the most important formulas in mathematics. And now, I learned to explain it, to demonstrate it, and it makes me so damn happy!! Here it is, in all it's glory´, the Euler Identity:

e^i\scriptstyle{\pi} + 1 = 0

I know, right!? Look at it! :P

But my point with this post it's not this one. I mean you'll find this stupid, I'm sure. A formula... tsh!
My point is asking you this: If you've seen 'the most beautiful', then... what's next? Everything will be uglier now... What's the point from now on?

3 comments:

John said...

My dear friend, you forget the true beauty of mathematics is in its infinite. Infinite numbers, infinite formulas, infinite beauty.
You ask "what now?", i say now create your own beautiful algorithm

indigno said...

Maths is beautiful, and you already known that is impossible to discover everything, and no matter how beautiful can be some formulas, or how much full is your zero because mystery will always be more beautiful and more attractive and you always will like to play with numbers. Beside that just because this is the best formula for the most of the mathematics it doesn't mean that you won't find a greater one !

Now you have to discover all the other formulas in the Maths' world to agree or disagree, so dear Jack you have a very long path to walk =)

Loved Lestat of Lioncourt's comment

kiss

Milady De Winter said...

I'm so damn proud to call you my friend..

You really are something!

Sound Track